Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Design of Everyday Things

I think I let a bit of frustration out in the last post. I'm back to thinking and working on things that matter more to the issues at hand for our business - designing a software product.

And on that note, I thought I would make a brief mention of The Design of Everyday Things - a great book by Donald Norman. What intrigued me about it the most was that Norman first published it back in 1988, yet many design experts consider it recommended reading for today's design issues. When you read it you understand why. The principles he talks about are timeless - conceptual models, visibility, natural mapping. They all hark back, in some way, to the notion that we use visual cues to form expectations of function - that whole 'new language' issue I posted about before.

I am only a third of the way through the book, so look for a more complete review later down the track (and when I get some time as work has seemed to engulf me this week and last).

Digg this
Sphere: Related Content

No comments: